Matt's Rise of the Rune Lords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victory at last! (8/28/2011)

4 posters

Go down

Victory at last! (8/28/2011) Empty Victory at last! (8/28/2011)

Post  Winter Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:30 pm

After the party puts the masterwork manacles on Nuallia and gags her securely Winter breathes a sigh of relief and goes to see to the status of Ulric's body. He closes the noble paladin's eyes in respect and sets about removing his armor so that he can use his skill in the healing arts to attempt to sew up the horrific wounds and, if possible, try to preserve the corpse somewhat for travel.

Afterward he goes back to see what the other companions are doing. "Sir Brightblade won't keep long without proper embalming, which I can't do here, he needs the services of a real temple. If we're going to look around behind any more doors let's get healed up a bit and do it now, and then get out of here; this place still makes my skin crawl."
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Victory at last! (8/28/2011) Empty Re: Victory at last! (8/28/2011)

Post  Winter Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:13 pm

(ooc) scott, if you could post what the split was for the previous trip's loot (Auric and Lyra (sp?)) when you get around to it that would be great. I guess we bought a wand out of that? wasn't really clear on the details.
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Victory at last! (8/28/2011) Empty The Rewards of Victory

Post  The DM Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:21 pm

For your brave acts and fighting prowess, you are rewarded 900 XP. Enjoy! Also - that Returning Dagger +1 is in fact 8300 gp - but you can't sell it in Sandpoint for anywhere near full price - best you can get will be 60%. Although even in Magnimar, I doubt you'd get much better than that.

The DM

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:45 pm

(ooc)sweet...60% sounds just fine to me

new xp total 7610 I think?-
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Victory at last! (8/28/2011) Empty The Loot

Post  Jack Napier Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:32 am

(OOC: This report shall be delivered to the party by Jack after business is attended to in town after returning from Thistletop)

From the desk of CFO, Jack Napier:

FINANCIAL REPORT - Spoils of War

Lyrie and Orik battle:

Banded Mail +1 = 1400gp
Composite Longbow = 100gp
MW Heavy Steel Shield = 170gp
MW Bastard Sword = 335gp
2PP = 20gp
Spellbook = ?gp
Everburning Torch = 110gp
Invasion Plans = 0gp

Total value = 2135 (+ value of spellbook)

Other Items Currently Equipped:

Jack
- Wand of Magic Missile Caster level 1 - 3835 charges
- 5 scrolls (comprehend languages, minor image, see invis, sleep, and whispering wind)

Damikon
- Everburning Torch

Ulric's Body
- Cloak of Resistance +1
- Everburning Torch

-=-=-=-=-=-

Erylium and Nualia Battle:

Spent 200gp on See Invisible Scroll = -200gp

Returning Dagger (Tiny +1) = 8301 gp - can only fetch 60% at best.
Mini Tiara = 50gp
Mini Silk Gown = 25gp
Unholy Symbol = 10gp

Bastard Sword +1 = 2335
Breast Plate +1 = 1350
Unholy Symbol = 25gp
MW Composite Longbow = 400gp
Medalion 7 pointed star = ?gp

Total Value = 3995gp + Returning Dagger

Equipped by Party:

Damikon 20 arrows (I guess?)

-=-=-=-=-

Thus!

Lyrie and Orik Battle = 2135gp sold at 75% for 1601.25gp
Nualia and Elyrium Battle = 3995gp sold at 75% for 2996.25gp
Returning Dagger +1 = 8301gp sold at 60% for 4980.6gp

Grand total after sales = 9578.1gp

That makes 2394gp 5sp 3cp each for Jack, Winter, and Damikon

and 1994gp 2sp 1cp for Magnus (not involved in fights before Nualia, thus no cut. Sorry but this is a legitimate business.)

and 400gp 3sp and 1cp for Ulric's Church, I suppose? (Are we really giving this up?)

Equipped Items are up for discussion, and the spell book remains to be appraised.

Here's a riddle! "What is the salary of a CFO?"

Just throwing that out there...

- Jack Napier, CFO.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:03 am

As Winter tends to Ulric's empty husk, Jack goes through Nualia's papers and reads the contents to the party members using the message spell. (OOC: The information was given to us by Matt at the end of the night. Consider your characters informed!) Upon finishing this task, he spends time collecting things of interest and the best evidence of Nualia's actions for whatever trial awaits the prisoners. He regroups with the party.

"I don't know about this place, guys." He sighs, exhausted from the fighting and the poison rushing through his veins. "It makes me sick." He looks to Damikon who nearly died himself and has the same poison affecting him.

"And it doesn't seem like much of a place for treasure..." he continues "more of a place for trouble. If we must, I say we come back and explore after resting... but really, I'm fed up with this god-forsaken island."

He paces back and forth; speaking emphatically like a general delivering a strategy.

"I say we jam the door to B2 shut and cave in the entrances to B1! Maybe we can comission some workers to demolish the goblin fortress on top of it... and cut the bridge so no one else can wander on or off this rock!" He looks to his partners wondering if they still need convincing.

"I think Ulric would approve that a place of such evil be lost to the people of Varisia, don't you?

... and I could really do with a hero's welcome back in Sandpoint. Maybe track down Ameiko and..."

Jack's conviction trails off, lost to his libido. Ka squawks disapprovingly on his shoulder.

"Let's get out of here." the bird decrees.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:43 am

OOC - XP totals

If the newly awarded 900XP DOES NOT include the 200XP from the trap, then all characters, save for Magnus, should be at 7810XP

if it DOES include the 200XP from the trap, then yes 7610XP total.

Magnus will be at 6000 (+200?) + 900, thus 6900 or 7100...

Oh, master of dungeons, can you clarify the numbers?
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:21 am

OOC- loot

Regarding CFO...I can do the split for the next few sessions, I agree it's unfair we always expect you to do it for free, I've just been lazy.

Did Elyrium have another wand on her or am I imagining that?

I think Matt had said we could not keep Ulric's stuff, but that we could split the treasure for that portion of the adventure 3 ways?

Are we going to try the loot system I suggested before where you simply buy what you want from the pool at the price it would sell for? I can't see anything there Winter would want.
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:35 am

Winter agrees, "This place was once a natural Island, it seems, but it has been irrevocably tainted by forces that have no rightful place upon this world. If what Nualia wrote is right, that Demon or is still down here somewhere under us."

"I'd agree we should try to seal it up later, but besides jamming the door to this level that can wait. Let's get back to town and think about how best to go about discouraging others from visiting here after we clear our heads."

Winter begins dragging Ulric's now slightly cleaner but still very sad corpse towards the stairs. "Ugh, some help here? Maybe we can patch together a litter from some of the stuff upstairs. Damikon, can you carry Nualia?"
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Napier Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:05 pm

OOC - Loot. I don't mind tallying it up money as it's something I see my character doing as money is one of the main things that drives him to heroics, not to mention being the only party member with appraisal skill and the CHA to really do the wheeling and dealing. Magnus will have the CHA too, but a paladin would rather be doing something for the church while in town.

Jack, however, will of course be looking for some way to get a good deal out of the situation.

And yes, I remember the Elyrium using a wand in battle but it wasn't mentioned during loot time. Could add to things. We will have to discuss the loot situation further (ie. Ulric's share, items taken/used in the previous few sessions as per the loot division revisision.)
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Magnus Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:56 pm

OOC - Magnus started at 6500, so +900+200= am at 7600 now.
- Loot makes sense, nprb
- Since Magnus was made somewhat in a rush, and I've had time to sit down, read some threads and check out Herolab's options, there's three things I'd like to change about my character...

1. Take archetype: Oath of Vengeance
2. Change Cleave feat to Extra lay on hands
3. Change +1 Longsword to +1 Greatsword

Magnus surveys the carnage, and wipes his blade clean. He goes to and solemnly views the body of his predecessor, Ulric, and offers to bring the corpse back himself to the local church and stand guard and pray over the body for 2days and 2nights whilst there.
Before this though, and in view of all members of the party Magnus swears an Oath of Vengeance against all involved in this despicable murder and subsequent happenings.
"The Guilty shall not go unpunished. My blade will sever the heads of any who stand in the way of truth, justice and the peace of the innocent."
Touching his right hand to the silver holy symbol embedded in the chest of his armor;
"By Iomedae's Grace on this day I swear VENGEANCE against The Guilty."

On the journey back Magnus comments favorably on the party's decision on keeping the Fallen Paladin's equipment with his body and states that it shows higher character than he'd first had thoughts to give. Though noble, he also realizes that these battles were hard pressed, and wonders if it would not be Ulric's wishes that his companions would have some use of (some) of these items. After seeing the surprised look on the faces of his new companions, he states that Magnus himself is not deserving of anything as he was not a friend of or battle companion of Ulric, but if he himself were to fall, he wishes only to be buried with his sword, shield and armor.

Magnus
Magnus

Back to top Go down

Post  Magnus Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:25 am

One last thing...

Once the party make sit back to town, Magnus commissions a local carpenter (DM tell me how much) to make a simple yet reinforced sign/barrier to stop wanderers from crossing the bridge leading to the forsaken island.
This barrier is to state the phrase "Beyond this point lies only death" and is to be at least 6 feet tall and wide enough to provide only enough room to fall off the cliff to either side. The wood itself is to be weather stained and greased, while the top is to be covered in black sticky tar and then generously covered with broken glass (better a flesh wound then death).

After Magnus tends to the body of Ulric, he rejoins his new compatriots (presumably drinking some portion of their earnings away on cheap wine and cheaper women) at the tavern and after remembering a 7 pointed star medallion whose worth was not known asks if he could examine this object.

If whomever is in possession of it lets him, Magnus will detect evil on said medallion.
If it is an artifact of calamitous intent, he shall offer to bring the item to the church to be disposed of (destroyed) properly.
If no evil is to be found, he will ask if Jack-of-all-truths would be so kind as to examine it in a more... sorcerous way (as Magnus has ranks in spellcraft, he says cast identify).

Magnus
Magnus

Back to top Go down

Post  Winter Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:19 am

Winter makes his way back to the horses with the party and leaves them to make it back to Sandpoint with this:

"Does she deserve death? I daresay she does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

With that Winter raises his arms and transforms into a bird and flies off towards Sandpoint, leaving them to consider the road ahead.
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Victory at last! (8/28/2011) Empty Return to Sandpoint

Post  Jack Napier Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:24 am

Jack, if at all possible, attempts to disuade Magnus from making such a commission. Such a dramatic sign would only attract the wrong kinds of people: foolish treasure hunters, and evil types to the island.

He maintains that blocking off entrances via cave in, demolishing, and removing the bridge would be the best solution. He's also heard of druids having the capability to encourage plant growth... if the path through the thorny patch leading to the island were to suddenly be completely over-grown it would further hinder people from stumbling upon the wretched place. It's not exactly prime real-estate.

Having the item identified in town would be wholy unnecessary as Jack would identify all the items once the party agreed to leave the dangrous area and he no would no longer need to worry about spells per day. Consider all items detected for magic, and identified before packing them up and leaving for Sandpoint. Actions towards the medallion <META>and indeed all possible "plot items"</META> and discussion thereof should be done in private, or with the proper knowledgeable people (possibly Father Zantus at the temple)

-=-=-=-
The Road Ahead.

Jack smiles when he hears Winter's words. He has learned quite a bit about/from this strange individual. He remembers fondly (though hazily) all the beach parties, and the afternoon spent learning about druids from him before interrogating with a "Good Guard, Bad Guard" routine. He is assured by these words of reason and knows exactly why he needs someone like Winter in his company and as a friend. Keeping the balance in the world, like keeping the balance in a company's financial records, is delicate work... and you have to respect that.

However, with further consideration, he doubts that the people of Sandpoint will see it Winter's way. He figures that handing the demon lady over to the people there is just as much a death sentence as killing her themselves. That's just city folk. Then again, he's been surprised a few times in his life.

He gets on his horse and leads the group back to Sandpoint... he's no ranger or druid but he's been this way many times before. Ka, as motherly as ever, flies overhead and keeps a watchful eye.

The ride back to Sandpoint finds Jack strangely quiet; his face uncharacteristically somber. It was all over. The goblin invasions, Nualia and her wicked plans were all stopped.

He's met a lot of interesting people and lost a few along the way. Glancing over at Ulric's corpse hanging over the back of a horse, he feels a tinge of guilt and silently vows to never let this happen again.

He gives thought to friendship and how much easier it is to be great with a proper team. The good that can be done with the right people working to "Keep the Balance" by doing what needs to be done. The sort of thing playwrights wrote of to inspire the world.

He also thinks about how this could all be profitable at the same time. The sun is warm against his face and he manages the smallest bit of smile, his blue eyes now fixated on the horizon.
Jack Napier
Jack Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Magnus Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Winter wrote:"Does she deserve death? I daresay she does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
(as Winter flies away) Magnus whispers faintly to himself, "Who said I was eager..."

Magnus listens to Jack's suggestion (about the sign) and considers it a wise one. Feeling somewhat self conscious he explains that he's not used to having help, or such resourceful "friends".

Friends.

Is that the right word? Although bonded by battle, Magnus is still unsure as to his place within the motley group. Though Damikus, Jack and Winter (ok, and Caa) proved themselves brave, resourceful and worthy enough, there is also Uric.
To leave a companion behind to die, especially an obviously valued one such as Ulric, is no small thing.
For now, he'll have to be satisfied with the distinct reverence his new companions have shown to the body as proof of their courage and trustworthiness.
His companions are not like him, he knows... not many are. Though our captive has for now been subdued, he is aware that she is capable of much more evil if given the chance. Winters words are weighed, digested and ultimately agreed with.

Any and all have the capability of redemption, from the simplest pick pocket to the passionate murderer. The problem, as Magnus has learned over time, is that if he knowingly frees the unforgiving, the ones who don't care and never will, he dooms the future victims of these sociopathic individuals.
An ogre or displacer beast is simple. They prey on the weak. No one would ever question vanquishing such as these. But she isn't an ogre. She's worse. And if he let's Sandpoint act as executioner, some may be irrevocably changed for the worst.
NO. He CANNOT allow this to occur.
He knows what will be the result of a "trial". The only important thing is that he himself carry out the sentence. Iomedae asks, neh... demands, that the townsfolk are spared of this burden so that they never have the stress of having to question whether their decision was just.

I am the instrument in which civilization must exert it's boundaries. When good folk are threatened with greed, avarice and absolute evil, I must be the beacon which burns the brightest light. I must be the example which others cannot be. There's no shame in this, and neither is there pride.
Though I am, under all the quantifiable powers that support me, only human.
I'd rather share conversation and a pint, but I also cannot let the wicked roam.
Iomedae gave me purpose, and to renege that gift is a sin in itself.
This town WILL have the closer it needs, and though I may be vilified by some, it is, to put it simply, part of the job.

Magnus considers praying for more guidance, but he feels as if he already has.
Magnus
Magnus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down